Faslodex: Uses, Side effects and Precautions
What is Faslodex?
Faslodex is a prescription medicine that contains an active ingredient called fulvestrant, which belongs to a group of medicines called estrogen blockers (a class of drugs used to treat and prevent breast cancer). Faslodex is used alone or in combination with other anticancer medicines to treat certain types of cancers in affected women.
Faslodex – Uses & Indications
- Faslodex is used alone or in combination with ribociclib succinate (anticancer medicine) in postmenopausal women to treat breast cancer who have not had hormone therapy or whose condition worsened as a result of hormone therapy.
- It is also used to treat breast cancer in conjunction with palbociclib or abemaciclib (anticancer medicines) in women whose condition worsened following hormone therapy.
Faslodex – Dosage forms and strengths
- FASLODEX is supplied as a viscous, clear, colourless to yellow solution in a pre-filled syringe containing 5 ml of injection-ready solution. Each pre-filled syringe (5 ml) contains 250 mg fulvestrant.
Side effects of Faslodex
If any of these signs are bothersome or do not go away, consult your physician for guidance:
Common side effects
- Injection site reactions such as pain/inflammation
- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea
- Headache, weakness, tiredness, numbness/tingling, and/or loss of movement in the leg
- Joint & musculoskeletal pain, back pain, and sciatica (lower back pain radiating to leg on one side)
- Hot flushes
- Skin rash
- Urinary tract infections
- Vaginal bleeding
Uncommon/infrequent side effects
- Thick, whitish vaginal discharge
- Injection sites reactions such as bruising or bleeding
- Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver).
Serious side effects (that lead to discontinuation of treatment with Faslodex)
- Allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions such as anaphylactic reactions with associated symptoms such as swelling of the face, lips, tongue/throat
- Thromboembolism (a condition that occurs when a blood clot forms in a vein)
- Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) or liver failure.
Faslodex is not indicated for use:
- If you are hypersensitive/allergic to fulvestrant
- You are a pregnant women
- If you are a lactating women
- If you suffer from severe liver problems.
Warnings and Precautions
Inform your doctor before using Faslodex medicine if any of these applies to you:
- Kidney or liver problems
- Low platelet count or bleeding disorders
- Osteoporosis (a condition marked by loss of bone density)
Patients suffering from kidney problems
- Patients who suffer from kidney problems such as renal impairment should receive Faslodex with caution after consulting the doctor to avoid undesirable effects.
Patients suffering from liver problems
- Faslodex is not recommended for use in patients suffering from severe liver problems. It is advised to be used with caution in patients with moderate hepatic impairment who should consult the doctor before receiving the medicine to avoid undesirable effects.
Patients suffering from alcoholism
- Since Faslodex may cause harmful effects in patients suffering from alcoholism, it might be administered only if necessary by the doctor. Inform your doctor if you suffer from alcoholism before using the medicine. ,
Use in specific populations
- If you are pregnant, you must not use Faslodex. If you are capable of getting pregnant, you should use reliable contraception both during your Faslodex treatment and for two years after it is completed.
- Faslodex should not be used by breastfeeding mothers since it is not known whether the medicine passes through breastfed milk which may cause undesirable effects in breastfed infants.
Use in children
- Faslodex is not recommended for use in children and adolescents (aged below 18 years). Consult your doctor for further advice.
Use in geriatric patients
- Elderly patients (aged 65 years and above) should use Faslodex with caution after consulting the doctor to avoid undesirable effects in this age group. ,
A lot of drugs can interact with Faslodex, and some drugs should be avoided while taking Faslodex medicine. To avoid undesirable effects, inform your physician about all the medicines you take before taking Falsodex medicine which may include a few listed below:
- Anticoagulants (medicines used to prevent blood clots) Ex. rivaroxaban, dabigatran.
- Faslodex is used alone or in combination with anticancer medicines in postmenopausal women to treat certain types of breast cancer.
- The common side effects associated with the use of Faslodex are loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, weakness, and/or tiredness
- Faslodex is not recommended for use in patients who are allergic/hypersensitive
- Faslodex should be avoided by pregnant and breastfeeding women
- Faslodex should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney, and liver problems and should consult doctor before taking the medicine to avoid undesirable effects.