Azstarys : Uses, Side effects and Precautions
What is Azstarys?
Azstarys offers a complete strategy for treating ADHD and constitutes a significant advancement in the field of mental treatment. Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine are two active components combined in a unique formulation.
The development of Azstarys, its mode of action, and its revolutionary effects on the treatment of ADHD will all be covered in this article.
Uses & Benefits of Azstarys
- Relieves ADHD symptoms
- Offers simplified dosing and a better tolerability compared to other ADHD medicines
It is often prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults, adolescents, and kids. Here are some crucial examples:
Control of ADHD symptoms
- It is designed to reduce impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention, which are the main symptoms of ADHD.
- They can participate more fully in daily activities, work, and school by improving their focus, concentration, and impulse control, which is accomplished by focusing on these.1Uses| Researched based study from Nlm.nih.gov
Long-lasting release formation
- It is designed as an extended-release drug, which means the active ingredients are released gradually over time.
- This reduces the need for several doses or frequent administration by relieving all-day symptoms.
Simplified dosing regimen
- Compared to other ADHD medications, it offers the benefits of increased doses.
- Since it is often given only once daily, patients, particularly kids, and teenagers, find it easier to follow their treatment regimen.
- Better compliance and treatment outcomes can result from this simplicity.1Uses| Researched based study from Nlm.nih.gov
- Comparing this unique formulation and combination with other ADHD stimulant medications, it has been shown to increase tolerance.
- This can be especially helpful for patients who may have had problems or adverse effects with prior drugs because Azstarys may have a better profile. 2Uses| Researched based study from Corium.com
Side effects of Azstarys
Like with any medication, even though it’s generally well tolerated, some people may experience negative side effects. Here are some potential negative consequences:
Common side effects
- Decreased appetite
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- Dry mouth
- Increased heart rate
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Upset stomach or nausea
Less common side effects
- Weight loss
- Increased blood pressure
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Irritability or mood swings
- Agitation or restlessness
- Blurred vision
Any side effects that are concerning or persistent must be reported right away to a medical expert.
While some people might not suffer any negative effects, others might deal with a variety of side effects.2Side effects| Researched based study from Corium.com
Adderall vs. Azstarys
Although they both treat ADHD, they differ in several significant ways, including:
Duration of effect
- Azstarys: After administration, it alleviates symptoms for up to 12–14 hours.
- Adderall: The effects usually last 4-6 hours, while the extended-release formula has a 12-hour symptom reduction period.
- Azstarys: They are usually taken in the morning once a day.
- Adderall: To sustain the intended impact, it may be necessary to take repeated dosages throughout the day. 3Comparison| Researched based study from Hhs.texas.gov
Dosage of Azstarys
Age, weight, particular symptoms, and medication response affect the dosage.
Children (6 to 17 years old)
- A morning dose of 10 mg is typically used as the initial dose.
- The highest dose advised is 20 milligrams, used once daily.
Adults (18 years of age)
- The recommended starting dose is 20 mg once daily.
- The highest dose suggested is 40 milligrams taken once daily.2Dosage| Researched based study from Corium.com
- It’s important to follow your doctor’s advice on dosage and any required adjustments. The dosage must be consumed daily at the same time, preferably first thing in the morning, with or without meals.
- Instead of crushing or chewing the capsule, it should be ingested entirely.
- Depending on each person’s specific needs, the dosage may need to be adjusted. It is essential to schedule multiple follow-up meetings in order to evaluate the outcomes and make any changes that are required.2Dosage| Researched based study from Corium.com
Precautions to take before having Azstarys
- Give your doctor a thorough medical history, mentioning any past or present medical conditions such as seizures, high blood pressure, mental health issues, heart issues, or high blood pressure. Tell them whether you currently use vitamins, drugs, or herbal products.
Sensitivities and Allergies
- You should let your doctor know if you have any known drug allergies or sensitivities, especially to amphetamines or other ingredients in Azstarys.2Precautions| Researched based study from Corium.com
- Seek medical help if you suffer breathing difficulties, hives, swelling, or itching.
- It may increase heart rate and blood pressure. If you have a history of cardiac issues, an irregular heartbeat, or high blood pressure, consult your doctor.2Precautions| Researched based study from Corium.com
- The recommendation may be made to monitor cardiovascular health regularly.
- It might worsen the signs of some mental health issues, like bipolar disorder, anxiety, sadness, agitation, or psychosis.2Precautions| Researched based study from Corium.com
Peripheral vascular disease
- Stimulant medications have been linked to peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud’s syndrome.
- Numbness, discomfort, or coolness in the fingers or toes should be reported to a doctor, among other symptoms and signs.
Growth and development
- Children’s growth rates may be impacted. It is advised that weight and height be regularly monitored when receiving long-term treatment.
Breastfeeding and becoming pregnant
- If you’re breastfeeding a baby, planning a pregnancy, or are already pregnant, tell your healthcare professional.
- It’s critical to carefully consider the benefits and potential downsides.
Driving and operating devices
- It might make you feel dizzy or make you less awake. Be sure to know how the medication will affect you before doing anything that calls for focus.2Precautions| Researched based study from Corium.com
Abuse and dependence
- The likelihood of abuse and dependence is very high. Due to its stimulant qualities, it is listed as a Schedule II restricted substance.
- Azstarys abuse or prolonged use can cause physical and mental dependence.
Overdose toxicity of Azstarys
This requires quick medical treatment since it may have devastating effects. Aztarys overdose symptoms could include:
- Restlessness and agitation
- Tremors or shaking
- Rapid breathing or difficulty breathing
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Increased blood pressure
- Hallucinations or delusions
- Panic or paranoia
- Fainting or loss of consciousness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Flushing of the skin
Treatment may involve supportive measures to stabilize vital signs and manage symptoms. This may involve close monitoring of blood pressure and heart rate as well as supportive treatment. 2Overdose| Researched based study from Corium.com
Interactions of Azstarys with other Medicines
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- When combined with MAOIs or within 14 days of stopping them, azstarys should not be taken. Concurrent use may lead to serotonin syndrome, a potentially fatal disease.
Inhibitors of selective serotonin reuptake
- The chance of serotonin syndrome may rise when it is used with SSRIs.
- It’s essential to watch for signs like excitement, confusion, a quick heartbeat, shaking, and perspiration.
Other stimulating drugs
- The risk of cardiovascular side effects, such as raised blood pressure and heart rate, may rise when used along with other stimulant medications.
- It may increase heart rate and blood pressure.
- Combining it with antihypertensive drugs may make the treatment less effective.2Interactions| Researched based study from Corium.com
- Amphetamine excretion may be decreased by drugs that make the urine more acidic, like ascorbic acid (vitamin C), resulting in higher body levels.
- Because amphetamine is excreted more readily, medications that alkalinize the urine, including sodium bicarbonate, may have a reduced effect.2Interactions| Researched based study from Corium.com
Any feedback on this article?
- This Articles content was accurate
- Very Informative Article
- I have a question or a comment
- This article contains inaccurate content
- This article was not helpful
- I have a question or a comment
We appreciate your helpful feedback!
Checkout our social pages
National Library of Medicine
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder | Uses
AZSTARYS | Side effects | Dosage | Precautions | Drug interactions
Texas Health & Human Services Commission
Stimulants and Related Agents Therapeutic Class Review (TCR) | Comparison