Garlic & Honey Benefits
Why Garlic & Honey?
Garlic and honey are remarkable natural foods with considerable health advantages. One can reap the benefits by consuming it alone or combined. People can even take it as supplements or add it to meals in the usual manner. The article will look at the potential health benefits of garlic and honey, its properties, role, risks, and some tips to include in your diet.
Properties of Garlic & Honey
- Globally, people use garlic and honey in conventional medicines. Garlic possesses a sulfur-containing compound called allicin that gives garlic its detoxifying (antioxidant) and antimicrobial properties.
- Research has confirmed that cutting or crushing fresh garlic cloves liberate more allicin than uncut garlic. Hence, chopped garlic loses allicin properties very soon. So, one must consume fresh garlic as early as possible to get the most health benefits , .
- Honey is high in phytochemicals (natural substances) such as polyphenols and flavonoids. It has antioxidant (detoxifies the free radicals in the body), anti-inflammatory (reduces swelling and pain), and antimicrobial properties (kills viruses, bacteria, fungus) .
Functions of Garlic & Honey in the body
- The natural compounds in garlic protect the body against cell injury, activate the body’s immune response to fight infections, and decrease the risk of chronic diseases. It also helps heal wounds by reducing redness, pain, and swelling.
- Studies have found that garlic and honey, when used alone, have antibacterial properties and can prevent the growth of bacteria. The combination of garlic and honey worked even well in killing bacteria and preventing illnesses such as food poisoning and pneumonia 4 Functions | Researched based study from National Institutes of Health.
Health Benefits of Garlic & Honey
Garlic and honey have the following health benefits-
- Prevents bacterial infection
- Prevents viral infection
- Reduces inflammation
- Enhances the brain health
- Improves the heart health
- Helps with weight loss
- Boosts the immune response
- Enhances the skin health
- Strengthen the hair health
- Improves digestion
Prevents bacterial infection
- Research studies have shown that garlic and honey prevented the growth of bacteria viz; Salmonella and Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- A laboratory study indicated that garlic and honey could kill bacteria that even antibiotic drugs cannot .
Prevents viral infection
- Honey and garlic have antiviral effects that prevent flu and colds.
- Laboratory studies have indicated that honey inhibits the growth of flu viruses and prevents infections .
- Garlic and honey help in wound healing by reducing redness and pain
- Animal studies showed improved healing response when used in combined form, i.e., garlic and honey together .
Enhances the brain health
- Antioxidants in garlic and honey improved thinking ability and concentration.
- It reduces the risk of memory disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease .
Improves the heart health
- Nutrients in garlic and honey decrease the body’s total cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Research studies have found that it reduces the possibility of heart ailments, viz; stroke .
Helps with weight loss
- Nutrients in both honey and garlic improve satiety and prevent subsequent cravings.
- It reduces hunger and decreases the body mass 10 Health Benefits| Researched based study from National Institutes of Health.
Boosts the immune response
- Nutrients in garlic and honey enable the body to ward off infections
- Research studies have found it effective in relieving symptoms of the common cold and flu 11 Health Benefits| Researched based study from National Institutes of Health.
Enhances the skin health
- Nutrients in garlic and honey heal skin ailments and relieve irritated skin.
- It also reduces marks and helps in natural acne healing .
Strengthen the hair health
- Nutrients in honey and garlic maintain hair moisture and prevent dryness
- It prevents dandruff and promotes satisfactory hair growth .
- Nutrients in garlic and honey improve the bulk of the stool and regularize bowel movement.
- It also promotes the growth of good bacteria and prevents the symptoms of constipation .
Risks & Precautions of Garlic & Honey
Garlic side effects
Although garlic has numerous health benefits, some downsides exist, like any other food. People allergic to Allium plants such as onion, and leek might experience unusual adverse effects such as:
- Skin reddening
- Swelling in eyelids, face, throat, and mouth
- Trouble breathing .
- Individuals consuming garlic in massive amounts or as medicine supplements might have delayed blood clotting and profuse bleeding, so people on anticoagulant drugs (blood thinning medication) viz; warfarin, clopidogrel must avoid taking garlic as it can lower the drug’s efficiency.
- Garlic has antiviral properties, so it might also interact with antiviral drugs viz; saquinavir reducing the drug’s effectiveness .
Honey – Side effects/ Interaction
Honey is naturally high in sugar. So, people with high sugar (diabetes) must consume it in moderation to prevent blood sugar spikes.
There is inadequate data to confirm whether honey interacts with other drugs. However, people allergic to bee pollen or other pollens might experience adverse effects such as:
- Noisy breathing (wheezing)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rapid or slow heart heat
- Excessive sweating
- Skin itching
- Lips, mouth, and face swelling
- Shortness of breath .
Warnings for Honey consumption
- People should avoid giving honey to infants (below one year of age) as honey’s bacterial spores, in rare cases, can cause a severe abdominal disorder called infant botulism.
- Infant botulism is a fatal disease caused by ingesting bacterial toxins from Clostridium botulinum bacteria. Following botulism, the baby will have a weak cry, muscle weakness, and shortness of breath .
- While purchasing honey, always look for honey that is therapeutic (medicinal) grade to ensure that it is safe and sterilized. This honey is best for a dietary supplement or topical use on the grown-ups’ skin.
Ways to use Garlic & Honey
- One can use garlic and honey in daily cooking or as health supplements
- Fresh garlic has plenty of health benefits. Garlic extract and garlic powder also have numerous health benefits, but garlic oil has comparatively fewer properties, although one can use it to flavor different foods
- There is no known advised dose for consuming fresh garlic. However, the most widely used dosage of garlic powder in studies is between 150 to 2300 mg (milligrams)
- One can use honey to relieve sore throat and cough. One can also add honey (a teaspoon) to teas to alleviate the flu symptoms
- People can use honey to reduce skin sensitivities such as reddening, itching, and acne. Moreover, one can also use honey for burns and skin injuries to relieve the pain and swelling .
Taking Garlic and Honey every day
- Garlic has cholesterol-lowering properties, so consuming it might lower total cholesterol and blood pressure, reducing the risk of heart issues and stroke (rupturing of a brain’s blood vessel).
- Antioxidants in garlic and honey boost the immune system and help ward off infections.
- However, consuming garlic on an empty stomach can cause heartburn and abdominal disorders in some individuals. So, speak to your physician before including it in your everyday diet on an empty stomach to know if it suits you best.
- Taking garlic and honey before bed might improve sleep, reduce pain and swelling, and enhance the body’s immune response. But some people on blood thinning medication and digestive issues can experience adverse effects. So, confirm with the doctor before including it just before bedtime .
Tips to include Garlic & Honey in your diet
Combining garlic and honey in food can enhance the aroma and health effects.
- Add freshly cut garlic and little honey to your favorite salad, herbs, vinegar, and olive oil to enhance the nutrition.
- Add honey-garlic, olive oil, and soy sauce to marinate poultry and fish. Cook it and relish the taste.
- One can pickle honey and garlic (fermented honey-garlic) and use it as a taste enhancer in meals.
Takeaway for Garlic & Honey
- Garlic and honey are nature’s powerful compounds having several health advantages.
- Garlic and honey were widespread in conventional medicines. Modern research studies can prove some of the health benefits. However, further studies are still warranted to explore the dosages and more of the potential health effects to implement effectively in future medicines.
- People can get garlic and honey’s health benefits by incorporating them into their diet. However, one must always consult with the physician before incorporating a honey or garlic supplement in their diet to avert unwanted unfavorable effects.