Addison's diseaseAddison's disease: An uncommon illness
Frequently Asked Questions
Addison’s disease (also called adrenal insufficiency) is a rare disorder due to insufficient adrenal hormones from the adrenal glands. Humans have two adrenal glands. Adrenal glands are endocrine glands located at the top of our two kidneys.
Adrenal insufficiency may be of two types. They are as follows:
- Primary adrenal insufficiency: Primary adrenal insufficiency is an unusual situation known as Addison’s disease. This condition occurs when the adrenal glands are damaged and incapable of producing cortisol and aldosterone hormones.
- Secondary adrenal insufficiency: Secondary adrenal insufficiency is the incapability of the pituitary gland to produce adrenocorticotropin (ACTH) hormone. ACTH stimulates the production of cortisol stress hormones from the adrenal gland.
- Tiredness and
- Excessive weakness
- Prominent decrease in weight
- Change of color around the mouth, rectum, scrotum or vagina
- Muscle pain
- Stomach problem
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Irregular or absence of menstruation period
The cause of Addison’s disease is due to
- The faulty immune response is when the immune system attacks its healthy cells of the outer part of the adrenal glands. The adrenal cortex of adrenal glands is responsible for producing cortisol and aldosterone hormones.
- Tuberculosis infection
- Fungal infection
- HIV infection
- Adrenal glands bleeding
- Hereditary disorder
If medicines are not taken, Addison’s disease patients can suddenly worsen their symptoms. The condition is called as adrenal crisis, acute adrenal insufficiency, or Addisonian crisis. It is due to a decrease in the blood’s cortisol level due to a specific infection or to stopping medicines for days.
The symptoms of adrenal crisis are :
Diet modification: A well-planned balanced diet of fruits and vegetables can improve our body’s defences against autoimmune attacks .
Exercise, yoga and meditation: Addison’s disease is related to hormone production, so instability of mental conditions like anxiety and depression is often seen in patients.
Herbal remedies: Green tea, Ginger,Turmeric,Reishi Mushroom.