Vitamins & SupplementsHealth benefits of Vitex
Frequently Asked Questions
Vitex is originally from the Mediterranean areas and Asia. The fruit of the Vitex plant sometimes called the chaste berry or monk’s pepper, is roughly the exact dimensions of a peppercorn. The fruits were taken from the chaste plant, and were probably employed to lower men’s sexuality in history.
- Decreases PMS symptoms
- May increase fertility
- Decreases symptoms of menopause
- Reduces the risk of insect bites
It appears well tolerated when administered in small doses for up to 3 months. However, a few adverse effects of vitex may include:
- Menstrual bleeding
- Dry mouth
- Erythematous rash
- Itchy skin
- Pregnant women, women attempting to conceive, and nursing moms should not consume this product because there is insufficient conclusive research.
- Vitex supplements should not be taken by anyone receiving IVF therapy, as they may reduce efficacy.
- Vitex should not be taken by those who have Parkinson’s disease since it may have adverse effects on the brain and therapy.
- Supplementing with Vitex is not recommended in people with schizophrenia or other psychotic diseases, as they appear to impact the brain chemical dopamine.
- People taking contraceptive pills or therapy to replace hormones should avoid taking Vitex supplements.