Frequently Asked Questions
Gilenya is the trade name for the immunomodulatory drug doctors prescribe for relapsing multiple sclerosis and clinically isolated syndrome in children over ten years and adults. Gilenya contains fingolimod as the active component.
The FDA has approved Gilenya to treat the following types of multiple sclerosis in adults and youngsters over ten years of age:
- Clinically isolated syndrome
- Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis
- Active secondary progressive multiple sclerosis
- In animal studies, Gilenya indicated fetal anomalies and death. But there is inadequate information to conclude whether Gilenya is safe or unsafe for humans. So, pregnant women should always discuss with the physician before taking Gilenya.
- In animal studies, researchers detected Gilenya in breast milk. But there need to be more research studies in humans to confirm that. So, nursing mothers should always take the doctor’s opinion before taking Gilenya.