Vitamin B12Vitamin B12 and its benefits
Frequently Asked Questions
Cobalamin, or vitamin B12, is a vitamin that dissolves in water and is essential for metabolism. It’s one of eight different B vitamins. It is offered as a dietary supplement and a prescription drug and is naturally found in some foods and added to others.
The body needs vitamin B12 for several biological functions to occur, as follows:
- The functioning of the brain and nerves.
- In the bone marrow, for the red blood cell formation and maturation.
- Creation of DNA molecules, which carry genetic information inside cells.
- Amino acid and fatty acid metabolism.
Doctors prescribe vitamin b12 for the following health conditions
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Imerslund-Grasbeck disease
- Cyanide poisoning
- Canker sores
- Post-herpetic neuralgia