Frequently Asked Questions
Avonex is a brand-name prescription drug to treat multiple sclerosis in adults. Multiple sclerosis is a persistent condition in which the body’s immune system wrongly attacks the myelin sheath protecting the brain and the spinal cord.
Avonex is used to treat the following conditions of multiple sclerosis. They are as follows:
Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis is the stage that is marked by new and worsening symptoms with periods of reduced or no symptoms in between.
Clinically isolated syndrome (CIS): The clinically isolated syndrome is the individual’s first neurological attack caused by the swelling of the nerve tissue. It last for 24 hours and might indicate the start of multiple sclerosis.
Active secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: Active secondary progressive multiple sclerosis is the state that comes after relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis and generally worsens with time.
- One must avoid people with chicken pox or measles infections as interferon might increase the chance of infection.
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers should use the drug only after full clearance from a registered healthcare professional
- Those with allergic reactions to the ingredient of the drug
- With low blood count
- With epilepsy(seizure) disorders
- People with liver problem
- One with heart problems